Subscribe in a reader or enter your address to get posts via email: 
Hey... Michael blogs in a few other places also. Don't miss "Christian Life with Michael" and "My Music Blog" in the sidebar of this page!

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Elizabeth - we love you!

I almost didn't blog this because it's not technically a "family" thing, but Elizabeth is so close to being part of our family that I think it's important to document what we found out last night.

Elizabeth Sheehan, who has been the Worship Arts Department director and has led worship at Grace Church for 4 years is stepping down from the position. There's nothing scandalous going on; in fact, Elizabeth is actually staying around as a volunteer. We don't know all of the "why"s, and I wouldn't post them publicly even if we did, but I know in my heart that it's a decision that was made with a lot of prayer and not made lightly.

Elizabeth was almost singlehandedly the reason that Cathy and I got back into the choir at Grace when we came back from a year at another church. Cathy saw things in Elizabeth... particularly her kind heart and open attitude... that made Cathy feel comfortable with the idea of joining back up. I would not have joined without Cathy. And boy, are we glad we did! Our lives would be so different now if we hadn't come back into the choir; I can't even hope to be able to enumerate all the ways. Most of our closest friends now are from WAM. My renewed interest in songwriting happened because of our involvement, and one of my songs has actually been used in an actual service! Elizabeth rejoiced with us when Hannah was born, and cried and prayed with and for us when we miscarried before Hannah and when we lost Cathy's mother a few years ago. Mikey almost treats her like a favorite aunt, and although Hannah is kind of little to say what she's thinking, I think she loves Elizabeth too. Cathy and I both see her almost like a sister; definitely as a treasured friend. We have such respect for her as a Believer and as a musician, and if she does ever eventually leave Grace for good, we will sorely miss her. I think Cathy is already steeling herself for not hearing Elizabeth's voice leading worship every Sunday.

Elizabeth, we love you very much. We know you have GREAT things in store for you!

(Below is the bio of Elizabeth from the church Web site before it disappears to make way for the new directors' information. I just thought we'd like to preserve it for posterity!)

Elizabeth Sheehan likes to call herself a “product” of Grace Church. She has been a member of Grace Church all but the first 8 months of her life.  After graduating from Grace Christian School in 1999, she acquired a bachelor degree in international business from Oklahoma State University and a diploma from School of the Local Church (now GSM) with an emphasis in music ministry.  She began her volunteer ministry in the fine arts areas of the children’s ministry.  From there, she became actively involved in music in Edge Youth (formerly Frontline) in secondary school and stayed involved as a youth leader throughout college.  During this decade of her life, her love to see the world won to Jesus grew as did her “addiction” to short-term mission trips, particularly to Spanish-speaking countries.  She continued volunteering until God called her into leadership in the Worship Arts Department in the main service.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

God has done some awesome things in WAM in past few years. I will always appreciate the dedication and humbleness that was exemplified through Elizabeth. She definately allowed us as WAM to experience what true Christianity is all about and that is love for one another. We have heavenly worship encouters during this time that I will NEVER forget! We have created spiritual bonds that are so precious. These upper room experiences can not even compare to what we will experience when see our Savior face to face....but they are eternally etched in us in WAM. Through her wisdom and diretion we can truely say that we are "WAMILY"!!! Jesus love shines so brightly through her...how privilaged we have been to be under her. Strong/kind...humble/leader..these are traits to cherish Eli. You have paved the way for greater moments to come!!

Cathy

Anonymous said...

let me get this straight. You said, your worship leader is stepping down from her paid job and is now vounteering, not leading worship but to direct a small choir that she was paid to direct? Help this small person understand.

TulsaMJ said...

The job she is stepping down from included directing the activities of the entire worship arts department, including the band as well as the choir, teaching some of the classes at the church's school for ministers, and also directing the activities of the technical people who run the sound and stage lighting. There is actually a choir director who works under the worship arts ministry director; that choir director will remain at that position. Elizabeth did rehearse the band personally, and I believe the new directors will do so as well. Most visibly to the rank and file in the congregation, she acted as the "song leader" for each service, choosing the songs and then leading the congregation in singing them. Now she will be stepping down from those paid responsibilities and returning to the volunteer status she held before she was hired for the job. My understanding is that she will be playing keyboards with the band, and occasionally subbing in for the new worship leaders when they are unable to be there (vacation, illness, whatever).

For a lesser person, that might be hard to do. Elizabeth, however, is one of the most humble people you have ever met, and that has always been the case. I don't think she'll have any problem resisting any urge to become a back-seat driver. I hope I'm not canonizing her here, because she's not perfect, but she truly is an amazing person, and when the announcement was made, the shock on the faces of the people who have volunteered under her and know her well was testament to that fact. Her shoes will be tough to fill.

CDs I've Been Listening To...